Wednesday, October 22, 2008


WE MADE IT!!
I’m finally back to reality and have the Internet!!! It is amazing how out of touch with life you can feel without being able to get on the computer and look up whatever you need or want to. So I will give the low down on what I have been up to the past few weeks!

On October, 9th, Maddie and I packed up the car and headed BACK to Canada! I feel like a Nomad who lives out of my car/suitcase and travels between Utah and Canada every few weeks. Steve took a job offer in the oil field up there and so as soon as he found us a place to live, we headed back to be with him. It had been almost three months since we had lived together and we were tired of being apart!

The first day of our trip back, we went to Idaho Falls to spend the day with my sister and her family before we left. We left at 3 in the morning the next day, hoping to get there as fast as possible! BUT, we hit a terrible snow storm and I thought I was going to die. Nobody had been out on the roads yet so there was no tracks for me to follow, a total white out and three inches of snow on the Monida Pass that hadn’t been plowed or driven on. I am stupid, but kept going. I didn’t even have a coat, so thankfully my prayers were answered and we made it safely through the whole storm (which was 7 hours with how slow i had to go). We finally made it to meet Steve’s mom and sisters in Lethbridge while they did some shopping at Wal-Mart and had a late lunch. We hung out for awhile and then got back in the car to make the rest of the 16 hour drive. We FINALLY got to Steve’s cousin’s house around 10 pm. It was the longest day that I can ever remember having to go through! Maddie was of course, a trooper and only got whiny during the last hour of the drive. She was a little upset when we finally saw Steve. She gives him the cold shoulder because she gets mad at him when he leaves and doesn’t come back for long periods of time.
So here is a little side not…when Steve and I got married 2 ½ years ago, we moved to a place (village, actually..not joking) called Breton, Alberta after our honeymoon. He owned a small house and had a good job there. I got Prego right away (accident) and a year later, we moved to the states to be close to my family. Things didn’t work out for Steve so that is why we are back. The weird part is, we are back to square one. We are living right outside of the village of Breton again, just in a nicer house that we don’t own! So back to the story…

We stayed the night at his cousin’s, where he’d been living and got to move into our house the next morning. He was lucky to find us a cute cabin-ish place out in the middle of the country, about 7 miles from Breton. We are about an hour and a half from Edmonton and in the middle of NOWHERE! There were two places that were for rent up here to choose from. We either lived out here in a cabin for double the price or there was a trailer that was in the country, but in cougar country, had a weasel in the roof that came into the house sometimes and after we decided not to take it, we found out that the weasel had left FLEAS in the trailer! DISGUSTING! It was almost our only option before this place came up for rent on the spur of the moment. THANK HEAVENS!

I thought for sure that I would be pretty depressed living out in seclusion and having no friends or family to hang out with, but I am not doing as bad as I thought. I actually love living in the country. I love having a wood stove in our living room and cutting wood with the log splitter for the fire every morning (I could be Laura Ingles Wilder), feeding the squirrels that run around the deck that wraps around the house and just being in nature all of the time. We have a pond in our front yard that usually has 2 or 3 ducks and 12 acres of land (forest actually). Life is good and we are just so glad to be with Steve, but missing our family and friends terribly.

This is the side yard, if that is what you can call it

The view from our front deck, and the pond Our cabin-ish house we are renting!

6 comments:

MelissaC said...

Hey! I'm glad you made it okay. I've been thinkin about you, wondering if you like it up there. I would love living where you are. It's beautiful! I'm glad things are going good...but we still wish you guys were down here!

Nik said...

It's cute- very Martha Stewart does Canada! I was hoping you guys were still alive. Thanks for posting! Now, come back. ;) Just kidding- I wouldn't make you drive that crappy drive this soon...give it a couple of weeks. Ha (I think I'm funny.)

Lichelle said...

I am so glad you guys are back together!!! Your views are gorgeous. I am glad I was able to see you a bit when you were here, but definately not enough. You are way too fun to be with. Good luck with everything!!!

Emily said...

We miss you! I am glad that you guys are together, however Kyler really is wondering where Maddie and Kim went. Hopefully you'll be back soon and we can see ya! Tell Steve we say hi!

Doug_Jen said...

Beautiful house I am happy you all are back together. I can not believe you kept going I am too chicken I would of stopped, but you are a trooper or nuts, lol. I would die to have a house like that and those views but the pond would make me nervous. Anyways have fun adn hope you return for a visit soon.

Chris & Jennie said...

Kim! I'm so glad you made it there safe and sound. Wow, and I'm even more excited that you are living in a trailer! However, I am getting a kick out of you chopping wood. But, this cabin/house looks and sounds SO much nicer, so thank goodness!