Monsters and Crows
Maddie has been scared of "monsters" the past few weeks and we can't figure out how to deal with it. She won't sleep in her own bed, we have to leave the lamp in our room on until she falls asleep and she keeps having SCREAMING dreams that wake us in the middle of the night with her screeching and sometimes standing in the middle of the room totally asleep while doing it. We were laying in bed telling her monsters aren't for real and are only on cartoons and if it would make her feel better we could come up with a sound that would scare them away. She decided to shout, "CAW CAW," like a crow. We also told her we could make a noise maker that would scare them off, so that is next on the agenda.
She even refuses to go in any room alone in the house all day long, even in the light. The other day I told her she had to go get her hamster out of her room without me. She pouted and took some time to build up her courage but as she walked through the hall and into her room, I could hear her shouting, "CAW, CAW," while she ran as fast as she could. It was funny, but all in the same time kind of sad that she is so terrified of NOTHING. Maybe it is time to have Steve give her a blessing? I am not so sure how to help the poor kid!































1 comments:
Olivia used to have night terrors. They were so hard to deal with. Same sort of thing...waking up screaming in the night and absolutely terrified. It stopped once we moved Paige into her room but that isn't an option for you! :)
One thing that I found that helped us with bad dreams was monster spray. I just used the spray bottle from the bathroom and told the kids that monsters couldn't get wet. I would spray it in the closets, under the bed, in the corners etc. basically where ever they wanted it. It worked great and I didn't have to worry about wrecking carpets, bedspreads etc. The other thing that worked great was "telling them a dream." I would give them something to think about (imagine you are a princess riding on a purple pony up an ice cream mountain...) then I would tell them to dream about that and tell me what happened next when they woke up. I would give them a kiss goodnight and blow fairy dust on them to protect them and give them good dreams.
Post a Comment