Monday, September 8, 2008

Best Surprise EVER!
I haven't posted for awhile because last Sunday, Steve surprised us and showed up in Utah for a visit! They had a week off, so he made the 16 hour drive to see his girls! He left Sunday afternoon and drove all night. He got here at 5 a.m on Monday morning. What a trooper! We had so much fun while he was here and were so sad when he left us again. I really don't know how women can handle being married to men in the military who are gone for months at a time, then come home only for a little bit. I've noticed with Steve, the more we have to be apart, the harder it gets when he has to leave. I thought it would get easier and you would eventually just get used to it, but for me, it is harder!

Maddie bringing balls to Steve...she gets so excited when he is around. She is such a daddy's girl!

Steve told Maddie to go get her hair done (because she won't listen to me when he is around) and she came back with the curling iron, and totally thought she was doing her own hair!

For the first few days he was here, we just hung out while my parents were in Alaska and we house sat. We did some shopping, lots of eating out and just enjoying our time together. On Thursday, we went to Jensen Park and jogged/walked with Maddie. She was so funny and when we let her out to walk, she would imitate me running by swinging her arms and whole body side to side and then she would bend over with her hands on her knees and pant. It was so funny...I just hope that she isn't good at imitating me, because I will quit running for the rest of my life if I look that ridiculous! We took some bread so when we were done, Maddie could feed the ducks. She was pretty scared of them, but after 15 minutes, she was trying to catch them. Steve found a caterpillar that he put on Maddie's skirt and she seemed fine while he was holding in next to her and then all of the sudden, she FREAKED and flung the poor thing across the sidewalk and ran off.

Later, we took Maddie to the State Fair. She had a blast. We mostly went for funnel cakes (they are my favorite), but ended up staying all night and even enjoyed the rodeo (not Steve's choice), but didn't stay to the end to see bull riding (my favorite). Maddie LOVED seeing all the animals and actually had a blast at the rodeo. She sat on my lap the whole time and imitated the bucking cowboys while gobbling down kettle corn and a GIANT corn dog. She was so good all day and just loved all the entertainment and people around. It was fun to get out and do something. Steve and I would be hermits if we didn't force ourselves to get out every now and then! Here is Maddie pooping in her pants because she was sacred of the huge robot guy. She kept saying, "bo-bot," and so I figured she would want to shake his hand...but that is as close as we could get to him. Cooling down with some great company and nice cold ice cream

Enjoying the cows! One of her favorite animals.

Maddie watching the airplanes and skydivers to open the rodeo

Maddie with her GIANT corn dog...ha ha...ah hum.

Friday we went to Idaho Falls to stay with my sister and her family and to get Steve 3 hours closer to Canada to cut a little time off his drive. We ate Olive Garden, watched movies on the big screen, the boys did some shooting, girls did some shopping and we just had a blast! Steve had to leave us at 5 a.m on Sunday morning so he could make it back for work on Monday afternoon. It was a pretty emotional morning to say the least. I am a wuss! We are so glad that you made the trip to see us honey, we wish you could have stayed longer, or forever. Thanks again, you ARE the BEST. We miss you and love you!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

That is the biggest corn dog that I have ever seen!!! WOW

Doug_Jen said...

I agree that is the biggest corn dog ever!! I am so glad you got the best surprise ever but I am so sorry it was so hard to to Steve leave again. Not too long before he is here right?

Sparrow's said...

it never gets easier when they leave. Scott my husband is in the military and yes you fall into the routine faster and easier when they leave, but it is still hard to see them go. I still hate it when he is gone overnight! So I feel for you!

Paige (Marston) Sparrow